The Azores as a Candidate Location for Atlantis

In my book Our Unknown Ancient Past I argue that Azores was part of Atlantis. I presented a lot of evidence, but now I would like to discuss some aspects in more details.

The entire Azores Plateau, as we read in a Nature.com article discussing the Plateau's geology, covers an area of approximately 400.000 km2. The Azores Plateau has an almost triangular shape, but assuming, for simplicity reasons, that we are dealing with a circular area, that circle has a 632 km radius. This is remarkably close to the size of Atlantis provided by Plato. In the relative Wikipedia article you can see for yourself that according to Plato Atlantis was an island ~700 klm wide, mostly consisting of mountains on the northern part and along the shore, encompassing a long narrow plain on the south which stretched a distance of 3.000 stadia (555 klm) on one side and 2.000 stadia (370 klm) on the other.


I myself have never been to the Azores, but nowadays, with the Internet, you can find so much information on a place that it is like having been there in person. I watched this interesting video on YouTube and as you can see the weather there is remarkable. Although it is on the same latitude with Athens, it has never snowed throughout recorded history. Due to the Gulf Stream, the temperature at the coasts does not drop under 16° Celsius.

Watching the same video you will see some incredible landscapes, strongly reminiscent of Plato's description of Atlantis. The place is lush green and literally looks like a paradise, just like Plato presents Atlantis. If you did not know this is the Azores, you would have guessed it is New Zealand. If you doubt me, have a look at the following pictures:



Last but not least, there are impressive signs of landslides, showing that sometimes in the past the Azores islands were much larger. Randall Carlson analyzes this exact phenomenon on his relative podcast that you can watch on YouTube. Could those landslides have produced the "shallow mud" Plato talks about, that was left behind when Atlantis sunk?


So what do you think? Post your comment below and tell me what you think of the similarities of the Azores with the Atlantis description given by Plato. Do you find them intriguing? 


Comments

  1. I believe in Plato's story and simultaneously take him at his word concerning his indication of the place. Atlantis lay in the Atlantic, beyond the Pillars of Hercules.
    Concerning the explanation for the sinking of Atlantis, I came up an own and quantitaitve explanation based on an interpretation of the Pri-Reis map. According to this thesis Atlantis was bigger than the Azores Plateau and was located further south than the Azores, to the west of the Cape Verde Islands. In this model the sinking of Atlantis becomes almost a margin in the geographical transformation of Earth. (https://grahamhancock.com/eilinga2/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very interesting article! I already had a quick look but I am going to read it very carefully. In my book, I also present some bizarre references that I located in the ancient Greek texts. Not only regarding the moon but also the movement of the sun.

      Delete
  2. I ordered it yesterday from Amazon. I am curious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment